The 1942-44 catalogue announced a new organizational plan, whirl]
sets the stage for the greater University of Houston of the future, with the
10,000— 15,000 students envisioned by some of the University's leaders.
The University now has the following schools:
COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
COLLEGE OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
COLLEGE OF COMMUNITY SERVICE
COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
Under this college, the University has three divisions — the Division
of Cultural Arts, the Division of Sciences, and the Division of Social
Sciences. Within the cultural art division are all standard courses toward
the B.A. or B.S. degree, including general music, piano, chorus, voice,
dramatics, art, English, journalism, puhlic speaking, and the modern languages
^French. German, Italian, and Spanish.
The division or sciences includes such departments as biology, chemistry,
geography, geology, mathematics, and physics and affords study in pre-
medical, pre-dental, and nursing courses. All these vital wartime fields
have had a boom in interest this year and many of our students and
graduates have found and are finding their places in war work as physicists,
medical technicians, nurses, dentists, doctors, chemists, etc.
The division of social sciences is yet another important part of the
University, educating our students for citizenship in a democracy and for
the world of the post-war era.
COFFEGE OF EDUCATION
With more and more teachers leaving for the military services, and
others entering war industries, the College of Education has had an increasing
significance during the past year and has pledged to continue to encourage
young women to enter the teaching profession, to urge former teachers to
return as a service to their country. Maintaining our educational institutions
at their full efficiency is seen to be essential to preserving the democratic
way of life for which we are fighting.
The education workshop, pioneered in Texas by the University of
Houston in 1940, is to be continued and enlarged in ihe summer or 1943
as a training ground for teachers in fields depleted by the war and as a
means of preparing teachers who have been out of the profession in
recent years but are willing to renew their certificates and re-enter the held
for the duration.
COFFEGE OF ENGINEERING
This college offers degree work in civil, electrical, general, and mechanical
engineering — all highly important fields in wartime. Heavy demands have
been made since Pearl Harbor on both students and teachers.
The pilot training program, which this year was turned over to the
navy, continues as part of the engineering school to train boys for the
flying forces. The present quota is 40. but this is expected to rise as time
goes on. Hundreds of boys trained at the University of I louston arc in
military services all over the world — and led by such world famed aces
as Jack Ilfrey. they're making a splendid record.
THE COFFEGE OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
The College of Business Administration has performed a particular
service in Houston during this year 1942-43. Perhaps its most outstanding
achievement was the establishment in September of a Downtown School
of Business at 705 Fannin.
The college has meanwhile taken a leading part along with the
chemistry department in sponsoring a number or free government management
and science classes for persons employed in local war industries. This work
will be continued, at least for the duration, under what is known as the
The Graduate School continues lo offer M.A.. M.S., and M.B.S.
degrees - with emphasis on teacher training. It was organized in 1939.
THE JUNIOR COFFEGE
This is an integral part of the entire University curriculum and was
retained when the University of Houston was chartered in 1934. It was
first organized in 1927.
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
A class in the Downtown Business
School with Mr. Jerome Peschke as teacher.
This school, organized downtown in the
fall of 1942, has been very successful this
year in training business workers for war
jobs. It is part of the College of Business
Administration, headed by Robert A.
White. W. W. Frasure is assistant director.