Keyword
in
Collection
Date
to
Montrose Voice, No. 326-A, January 20, 1987
File 002
Citation
MLA
APA
Chicago/Turabian
Montrose Voice, No. 326-A, January 20, 1987 - File 002. 1987-01-20. University of Houston Libraries. University of Houston Digital Library. Web. May 27, 2020. https://digital.lib.uh.edu/collection/montrose/item/117/show/109.

Disclaimer: This is a general citation for reference purposes. Please consult the most recent edition of your style manual for the proper formatting of the type of source you are citing. If the date given in the citation does not match the date on the digital item, use the more accurate date below the digital item.

(1987-01-20). Montrose Voice, No. 326-A, January 20, 1987 - File 002. Montrose Voice. University of Houston Libraries. Retrieved from https://digital.lib.uh.edu/collection/montrose/item/117/show/109

Disclaimer: This is a general citation for reference purposes. Please consult the most recent edition of your style manual for the proper formatting of the type of source you are citing. If the date given in the citation does not match the date on the digital item, use the more accurate date below the digital item.

Montrose Voice, No. 326-A, January 20, 1987 - File 002, 1987-01-20, Montrose Voice, University of Houston Libraries, accessed May 27, 2020, https://digital.lib.uh.edu/collection/montrose/item/117/show/109.

Disclaimer: This is a general citation for reference purposes. Please consult the most recent edition of your style manual for the proper formatting of the type of source you are citing. If the date given in the citation does not match the date on the digital item, use the more accurate date below the digital item.

URL
Embed Image
Compound Item Description
Title Montrose Voice, No. 326-A, January 20, 1987
Publisher Community Publishing Company
Date January 20, 1987
Language English
Subject
  • LGBTQ community
  • LGBTQ people
  • Gay liberation movement
Place
  • Houston, Texas
Genre
  • newspapers
Type
  • Text
Identifier OCLC: 22329406
Collection
  • University of Houston Libraries Special Collections
  • LGBT Research Collection
  • Montrose Voice
Rights In Copyright
Note This item was digitized from materials loaned by the Gulf Coast Archive and Museum (GCAM).
Item Description
Title File 002
Transcript HOME DELIVERY? ADVERTISING? Call (713) 529-8490 montrose VOICE i.ii'.vmu JANUARY 20, 1987 ISSUE 326-A ans Good News About Good Times Around Town with Elroy Forbes, inside HOUSTON WEATHER: Tues. night—Cloudy, cool, 70% chance of more rain, low 38. Wed—Continued cloudy, 30% chance of more rain, high 50. Federal Panel Recommends Licensing Drug AZT news, inside Parade Time? Not yet. But if your business is going to enter a float, it is time now to start planning. Gay Pride Committee meetings will be announced shortly. Company Takes Over McConnell Properties By Sheri Cohen Darbonne Montrose Voice A local property management company has temporarily taken over management of numerous rental properties from the holdings of bankrupt developer J.R.McConnell. Cardinal Property Management was hired by Peter Johnson, the bankruptcy court trustee in the McConnell case, to inventory and manage the properties, including Montrose Garden Apartments and other Montrose area apartment and condominium units owned by various McConnell companies. "This is probably one ofthe most complicated real estate bankruptcies ever," a principal with Cardinal Management said Monday, Jan. 19. "The McConnell case is a highly irregular situation .., we have yet to identify which (of the properties) we've got." Montrose Garden Apartments will be temporarily managed by Cardinal while the federal bankruptcy court attempts to determine which of McConnell's income-producing properties have actual estate value. The company official indicated other Montrose properties are also involved, but declined to name specific complexes. Johnson, the court-appointed trustee in charge of sorting out McConnell's estate, is requesting a six-month freeze on creditor litigation to give him time to unravel the complex puzzle. Johnson claims that he has found at least 93 separate business entities he believes to be alter egos of McConnell. McConnell's firms and the puppet companies own at least 300 single- family houses and hundreds of apartment and condominium units in Houston, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Memphis, Tenn., and California. Also included in the holdings are some commercial buildings and tracts of undeveloped land. Remaining undeveloped, its future now entangled in layers of legal red tape, is an empty lot in the 500 block of Westheimer that was to be the site ofthe Westheimer Village Shopping Center. Last year McConnell made a public event of the demolition of the building that formerly housed the Chicken Coop on the site and was hailed by city officials as the "hope of lower Westheimer revitalization." Johnson said in bankruptcy court filings that McConnell's debt "may be considerably higher" than the $275 million listed by McConnell who filed for protection from creditors under Chapter 11 of the federal bankruptcy code in October. The trustee is also asking the court to incorporate a bankruptcy filing by the owners of the Grand Hotel into the McConnell estate, stating the company, D'Este Inc., is actually an alter ego for McConnell. Johnson also testified that several banks are claiming conflicting liens on McConnell properties. Because of the lien conflicts and poor record keeping, Johnson's attorneys argued, the trustee's team needs six months just to sort things out Representatives of Cardinal Management said that maintenance of several properties was neglected and the properties are now badly in need of repair. Some also have rent deliquency problems- Bankruptcy court offices were closed Monday and Johnson could not be reached for comment
File Name uhlib_22329406_n326a_001.jpg