to twenty-one by the beginning of the fall semester. Dr. E. E. Oberholtzer, superintendent of the
Houston public schools, was named president of
the new college; F. M. Black, high school supervisor of the system, dean; N. K. Dupre, assistant
dean; and H. W. South, registrar.
The agreement with the University of Texas
and Sam Houston State Teachers College endured
for one year. As a result of visits from representatives of the State Department of Education and
the Texas Association of Colleges, the Houston
Junior College was granted full accreditation in
the spring of 1928.
The second regular session of the college
opened in September, 1928 with 510 students and
a faculty of twenty-five. It had now become the
largest junior college in Texas; by the second
semester of that academic year, enrollment had
risen to 615 students. In September, 1929, enrollment was at 584, with a faculty of thirty; and by
that spring, had reached 725.
At a meeting of the 41st Legislature in January, 1929, a law had been passed validating all
public junior colleges then organized and actually
in operation prior to January 1 of that year. On
February 10, 1930, the Houston Board of Education unanimously accepted the provisions of this
By this time there was a growing demand on
the part of many Houston citizens for a four-year
institution. On September 11, 1933, the Board of
Trustees of the Houston Independent School District, acting also as the Board of Trustees of
Houston Junior College, adopted a resolution "to
extend the scope and services of said college to
include at least two additional years of college
work" and that "said proposed institution be referred to hereafter as 'The University of Houston' ..." On October 16, 1933, this resolution was
implemented and as House Bill 194 made law
by the 43rd Legislature. The first summer session of the new University of Houston, incorporating the Junior College, opened on June 4,
1934, in the San Jacinto High School with an
enrollment of 682 students and E. E. Oberholtzer
as its first president.
Subsequently the Junior College, operating as
an integral part of the University's system of
twelve colleges, schools and divisions, continued
During this period (1934-1958) the University
of Houston has had as its chief executive officers
President E. E. Oberholtzer, President W. W.
Kemmerer, Acting President C. F. McElhinney,
President A. D. Bruce (now Chancellor) and
President Clanton W. Williams.
The University of Houston, the second largest
university in the state, has an enrollment of
13,050, a physical plant valued at $21,000,000 and
a faculty numbering 427.
ABOUT OUR PRESIDENT
DR. CLANTON W. WILLIAMS
President, University of Houston
Dr. Clanton Ware Williams, nationally known
historian and author who became the fourth
University of Houston President in 1956, began
his academic career in 1922. He joined the faculty
of the University of Alabama in 1929 and was
associated with that institution for twenty-five
During World War II, Dr. Williams served as
the chief Army Air Forces Historian in ranks
from captain to colonel. In recognition of his
distinguished service, besides campaign ribbons,
he was awarded the Army Commendation Ribbon
with three oak leaf clusters, and also the Legion
of Merit. He was recalled to active duty during
the Korean War. He became a staff officer of the
Air War College. Among his duties were directing research, writing for, and lecturing to military schools at home and overseas.
Historical works by the University of Houston
President include books in British and American
history, various works in antebellum southern
history, and in international affairs. Under his
direction or editorship many other volumes in
the field of military affairs and grand strategy
have been accomplished.
A.B. — Davidson College, Davidson, N. C.
M.A. — University of Alabama, University, Alabama.
Ph.D. — Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn.