further increased by acquisition of the Foster Building adjoining,
thus giving it one hundred feet of Main Street frontage.
Banking rooms in the original Gulf Building have been enlarged
four times since its purchase, each remodeling being necessary to
give greater accomodation to customers.
The first president was Colonel O. T. Holt, one of Houston's
pioneers and a distinguished Texan of his day. Upon his death,
G. C. Street was elected president (March 25, 1913), his administration continuing until February 25, 1915 Mr. Street was followed
by R. M. Farrar, who gave the bank a most capable administration.
Mr. Farrar redesigned January 11, 1921. Judge S. A. Lindsey, of Tyler,
Texas, next took the helm, retiring March 14, 1922, to be succeeded
by Jesse H. Jones, builder of the Gulf Building.
An interesting sidelight upon the changing direction of the
organization is secured through knowledge that of the original board
of directors, only two remain: N. E. Meador, now vice president, and
H. S. Filson, a member of the executive committee.
From the beginning in 1912, the bank's growth has been steady
and since the assumption of control by the present group, the capital,
surplus and deposit accounts which were on June 30, 1915, as follows:
Capital, $500,000.00; Surplus and Profits, $24,827.13; Deposits,
$1,041,137.54; have grown until on June 30, 1929, they were:
Capital, $1,000,000.00; Surplus and Profits, $2,398,934.78, with
Deposits totalling $10,452,497.57.
March 27, 1929, additional capital was provided by the stockholders to fit more nearly the great bankign quarters then nearing
completion. It is noteworthy that nearly the amount of original
capital has been returned to stockholders in dividens.
The new home of the bank has been designed to visualize the
prestige and importance of the institution to the community.
Access to the main banking room is through the building lobby
and also from Travis Street. On entering, one finds himself in an
immense space, seventy by one hundred twelve feet, the walls of
which rise sheer and unobstructed to a ceiling forty-three feet from
the floor, which, with the exception of a French marble border, is of