skip to content
Search results for
Refine your search
page 1 of 2 : (
add to favorites
A bit of Old Bombay- Lakdi Bunder, Chaupati
At the time this photograph was taken this spot was reserved for landing fuel brought in by country crafts. (Old Bombay)
A glimpse of the General Hospital from Coonoor
This picture shows but a very small portion of this immense Hosptial.
The Adyar River
A typical scene upon this beautiful river.
A difficult bit of road making
Loose planks are laid on iron bars driven into the rock. This bit of "road" is on the Chandra Bagha River in Pangi, a province of the Native State of Chamba.
Dhobies at Work at Saidape
This is the principal centre of the clothes-wrecking industry of the neighbourhood.
Scene on the Cauvery River
A gigantic new irrigation and electrical project estimated to cost one hundred and fifty lakhs of Rupees, has been occupying the Mysore Government for some time in connection with the River Cauvery, this...
The Armenian Church of St. Mary
This Church, situated in Armenian Street, was opened in 1712.
A Group of Zakka Khels
These truculent tribesmen were the last section of the Afridis to submit in the Tirah Expedition in 1897-1898. During the Campaign they gave a lot of trouble owing to their guerilla tactics. They proved...
The scene of a British victory over the French, in 1758. After the French, under Lally, had occupied a part of the town of Madras and invested the Fort, the situation was relieved by the appearance of...
An old Gun in the Madras Museum compound
This fine old gun was captured at the fall of Seringapatam in 1799.
The Adyar Club
The extensive grounds of this Club on the Adyar River comprise golf links, a ride, tennis and badminton courts, &c. During the season dances are held here.
Church of St. Mary, Fort St. George
This, the oldest British building in India, was completed n 1680. Owing to the number of famous men who are buried within its walls - Hastings, Munro, and Lord Pigot all lie here- it has been called "the...
Connecting Calcutta with Howrah. The only bridge spanning the Hoogly. This is a pontoon bridge and is continually undergoing repair. The traffic across is enormous.
The Marina, looking north
This Marine parade is more than two miles long, and is a popular evening resort, being perhaps the coolest spot in Madras.
The Law College
This building is situated next to the High Courts on the Esplanade.
The General Post Office
Many of the more important Commercial and Public offices are situated in First Line Beach. Viewed from the sea. George Town appears to consist of this frontage only, so flat is the land beyond.
On the death of the last Nawab of the Carnatic this fine old palace, built in the Moorish style, became Government property, and is now occupied as the Beard of Revenue Offices.
The Victoria Terminus, G.I.P. Railway
This pretentious building in architecturally considered to be the finest Railway Terminus in the world.
The Bank of Madras
This fine building is situated on First Line Beach.
The Madras Club
This Club enjoys the reputation of being one of the best in India.
add to favorites
page 1 of 2 : (
© 2013 The University of Houston, 114 University Libraries, Houston, TX 77204-2000 (713) 743-1050
State of Texas