skip to content
Search results for
Refine your search
Thorpe, Clell [photogr...
page 1 of 7 : (
add to favorites
The Kwajalein Island Memorial Chapel was originally constructed through a joint effort of personnel of all faiths from all the branches of the armed forces on Kwajalein in 1944.
When Marine Bombing Squadron Six-Thirteen arrived on Kwajalein they were assigned an area that had been vacated by the U.S. Army. Seen above is a number of the wooden buildings in the rear area after the...
Private First Class Michael D. Daniello delivering water in the squadron area. Since there was no source of freshwater on Kwajalein, it was necessary to desalinate seawater. Once desalinated, water was...
The forward echelon for Headquarters, 4th Marine Air Wing was located on Kwajalein. The tents served as billets for the Wing officers.
Arsenic and old lace
Boris Karloff visits with VMB-613 during one of a number of USO tours that performed for the men on Kwajalein in 1945. Karloff and his troupe performed "Arsenic and Old Lace."
Squadron league volleyball
Squadron members enjoy a brisk game of volleyball during off-duty hours. Athletics such as these helped to break the monotony of life on Kwajalein and served to boost morale.
Made up of members of various units based on Kwajalein, the Forest Rangers performed on the island's radio station, WXLG.
Another view of the 1945 Kwajalein softball championship team.
A close-up of the VMB-613's squadron insignia that hung outside the Officers' Club in the squadron area on Kwajalein. The squadron insignia on the sign was designed by the squadron Utilities Officer, First...
Squadron turret mechanics at work in VMB-613's Turret Shop.
Staff Sergeant Walter G. Shorey, Jr. working on overhead lines while standing on a telegraph pole.
In this view of the Officers' Club, VMB-613's squadron insignia can be clearly seen. The identity of the Marine that designed the insignia remained a mystery to most until his identity was discovered in...
Officers' Club interior
The Officers Club was located across Ocean Road from the VMB-613's compound. It was constructed by the squadron's officers with the main part, shown above, simply being a corrugated steel Quonset hut.
Officers' Club veranda
The VMB-613 Officers' Club was constructed overlooking the ocean and was across the road from the squadron compound.
Senior nco barracks
The building to the right of the tents served as quarters for VMB-613's senior NCOs while the remainder of the squadron area is to the right. The top floor of these barracks served as quarters while laundry...
The front area of VMB-613's compound. Lieutenant Colonel Nevils and Major Danser's quarters were located in the building in the center of the photograph.
Private First Class Richard G. Ryan Jr. at work in VMB-613's plumbing shop.
Shipping lane patrol
A convoy near Eniwetok sailing with three VMB-613 crews watching. The patrol of the shipping lanes began on April 3, 1945 and continued through the end of the war.
Front Row (L-R) Staff Sergeant John F. O'Donnell, Private First Class Manuel Souza Jr., Technical Sergeant James A. Seison, Technical Sergeant George D. Hufford Jr., Staff Sergeant Robert W. Longenberger,...
Red Cross unit
A Red Cross unit provided squadron members with doughnuts and refreshments at least once a week. They were located across Ocean Road near VMB-613's Officers Club.
add to favorites
page 1 of 7 : (
© 2013 The University of Houston, 114 University Libraries, Houston, TX 77204-2000 (713) 743-1050
State of Texas